Thursday, April 26, 2007

Flick off campaign

Driving in this morning, I heard a number of Ontario's politicians on the CBC complaining about the new anti-global warming flick off campaign promoted by Environment Minister Laurel Broten. The campaign is targeted at teens and young adults, and it's just a bit too edgy to be appropriate, they say.

On the radio, the link between flick off and fuck off didn't jump out at me at all. When you look at the stylised logo, however, it becomes clear that the association is intentional.




The website also includes heading such as "ARE WE FLICKED" and "GO FLICK YOURSELF".

I can't say I find it offensive, but it does strike me as gratuitous and puerile.

3 comments:

The Ridger, FCD said...

Gratuitous and puerile? Then it may well hit the target audience - teens.

Michael Stout said...

I guess I'm a bit puerile myself cause I got a laugh looking at the Flick Off site. My favourite is "Contest coming soon - National Flickfest"

Brett said...

Indeed, it's aimed at teens, and if they could keep it to themselves, fine. But companies are marketing t-shirts and all sorts of gear with the logo. I just don't think we need that kind of thing staring us in the face every day. It's the in-group/out-group thing. I swear with my friends and co-workers, but not with the Dean and not in class.