With coordinators you can get what is called multiple coordination, as in red and orange and green and yellow and blue, which doesn't group the color names together in clusters of two, it just connects all of them. With prepositions you don't get that.Last night this came back to me as I came across the words versus while reading. It's another of these Latin preposition-cum-English something-or-others. "Could you chain these without nesting," I wondered. This morning, I find that indeed you can. Here are some examples:
- It appears some genetic risk factors are drug-specific (i.e., opioid versus alcohol versus tobacco dependence) and some non-specific (i.e., perhaps more like a personality-related vulnerability factor).
- The people I worked with, like other Americans. see class as a system of oppositions -- poor versus rich versus a middle ground in which they locate themselves.
- Muggia FM, Braly PS, Brady MF, et al. Phase III randomized study of cisplatin versus paclitaxel versus cisplatin and paclitaxel in patients with suboptimal stage III or IV ovarian cancer
- An analysis of variance (ANOVA) was conducted to investigate the performance in 2-D matrices only and considered the between-subjects variable of group (congenital versus late visual impairment) and the within-subject variables of modality (visual versus tactile), condition (single versus multiple versus integration), and number of targets (four versus six).
- Just as if you were buying an investment for yourself, look at the specific needs of the recipient-short-term versus intermediate versus long-term goals.