- A: Canadian English is the clearest. Even the main US networks are hiring Canadians as anchors or their anchors sound Canadian.
- B: Clearer than British English you think?
- C: Oh, yeah.
- me: Which British English?
- C: If you could hear the way my brother talks...
- me: But it just depends what you're used to, doesn't it?
- C: But Canadians pronounce all the sounds clearly. It must be easier for students learning English to study here.
- A & B: Sure.
- me: Come on, how do you say Toronto?
- A: toe Ron toe
- me: Really? You don't say Trawna?
- B: Maybe the younger people do, but not our generation.
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Pronunciational self delusion
I was having dinner earlier this week with a number of colleagues when the topic got around to pronunciation. After an initial discussion of being laughed at by Americans for our pronunciation of out, the conversation went something like this: A and B are Canadian, and C is British and knows a lot more about phonology than I do.